Friday, May 8, 2015

Azalea Time


The Azalea show has been really spectacular this week with no rain or storms to knock the blooms off.  Soon they will fade and then I will start to shape and prune them. They look as if they have been neglected for quite some time and I hope to fertilize them after blooming and a good layer of mulch will help also.


And  the iris have been a nice surprise. Big blue and white ones.

I only have two clumps of iris and one is in too much shade to bloom and will have to be moved to a sunnier location and separated. Two peonies that are also in too much shade and look terrible and will have to be moved in the fall. I also have one  forsythia that is really alright where it is and two Rose of Sharon trees that are in pretty bad shape. I am hoping a little TLC and some shuffling of the existing plants to sunnier locations will improve the yard tremendously. My neighbor on one side has offered me some of her different kinds of hosta already and cuttings of any of her flowers. I have my rose bushes from the old farm in buckets and when they are established will find a good sunny spot for them. I would like to also try my hand at rooting some of the existing shrubs including forsythia, holly and Rose of Sharon that already bloom on the property. 

So that is the game plan for now to simply transplant to more appropriate areas what is already here. Then propagate  from the trimmings some shrubs to use for privacy screening from the existing shrubs on the property. Rooting shrubs most times is fairly easy. Most of these shrubs are very traditional landscaping shrubs and should be acclimated to this soil and climate to have lasted this long being neglected as they have. 


Mostly what is needed is some care, lots of pruning and lots of fertilizer and the yard should be able to be landscaped nicely for very little expense. I don't want to get too carried away with flowers because I want the lawn to remain somewhat low maintenance. There will be some work involved in these first few years to get it in shape though.

Hoping everyone has a safe and blessed weekend and a beautiful Mother's Day to all you Mothers out there.

Blessings form The Holler

The Canned Quilter

6 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's day to you too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely~ I dont know anything about the holly but forsythia is so easy to propagate all you have to do is cut a piece off ( or pick up a broken piece off the ground) and stick it in the ground where you want it... its THAT easy.. crazy stuff.. I think the Rose of Sharon is about as easy too but Im not speaking from experience with this one.
    Good luck! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful bushes!

    Marcy and Mom always had one special mixed spot, wheel barrel or bucket that held odds and ends of worn out potting soil, one third sand and one third good cow or horse manure. My sister and my mom could make Moses' staff root!!!! Just stick it there and new plants by the end of summer.

    I love sharing plants. At my last house all the plants were named for the people who gave them to me. Here I care for Mom's. I have delightfully added some Irises from Colorado during a spring Iris exchange. They are blooming and looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are beautiful colors, can't wait to see the results of all of the moving around and extra care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss your posts. Hope all is well with you and that you are just taking a "blog break" - new home and gardening an all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope everything is going well with you. Maybe you are just very busy with establishing new gardens! Looking forward to reports about your new home. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts in the comments section of each blog entry, but I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments) – so keep it polite, please. Also I am not a free advertisement board if you want to push a product on my comments I will delete you fast !!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails